Friday, October 10, 2014

Easy Bible Reading in 4 Ways



"Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path"*

"The teaching of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand."**

Some of you may have problems consistently reading the Bible every day. I know I do! It's a personal battle for me to find a portion of scripture to consistently read and soak up in. Today I thought I'd share with you some bible reading formats that I regularly use, besides the "one chapter a day" way. Please share if you have other methods! I would like to try them.

1. One Proverb a day 
- There are 31 chapters of Proverbs a day and you can take one based on the day's date. I find this a great way to really align oneself to the ways of the wise. HEHE. No matter what reading plan I'm on, I always try to read one chapter of Proverbs every day.
- Supplement with another chapter from another book.

2. Visualizing Psalms
- I read somewhere that a parent got their kid to read the book of Psalms together. Every psalm that they read, the child drew that psalm out. That was a perfect way of getting familiar with the psalms, besides helping you to remember which psalm talks about what!
- Highlight or write down verses that stood out to you, and what it means to you. Go a step further: write a prayer based on that verse.

3. 1 Samuel -> 2 Samuel -> 1 Kings -> 2 Kings
- I only share this because I've gone through this chronology of books twice now, and it really helps you to get familiar with a portion of the bible's history (David's life, the building of the Temple, the Ark of the Covenant, the kings that caused Israel to fall, the Israelites themselves).
- You start off with the life of prophet Samuel, who, in his lifetime, will see the Israelites ask for a king. Then he is given the task by God, of finding the king. Then you get the history of all the kings in 1 and 2 Kings!
- Go about 3 or 5 chapters a day, then summarize your day's reading in a short paragraph. Highlight or rewrite verses that stood out to you. This will help you to have a rough outline of the book, besides being your own personal bible study.

4. Go Eat Pop Corn 
- Galatians -> Ephesians -> Philippians -> Colossians are all letters written by the apostle Paul to different churches in different places (Galatia, Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse), each touching on a different theme.
- I absolutely love reading these letters. They contain a bit of wisdom, a bit of advise, and a bit of personal message from Paul himself to the churches.
- Each book is less than 6 chapters long, and very readable. Do the same - read one chapter a day, highlight a verse, pray based on that verse. Go one step further: Before your reading, ask God what He wants you to learn from the chapter you're about to read.

Okay of course I've read more than these 10 books listed above, but these are the most familiar to me at the moment. If I think of any more methods I'll be sure to share them :)

* -Ps. 119:105
**-Ps. 119:130

No comments:

Post a Comment